Administration in Amsterdam

Firstly, you will need a BSN number. This can be obtained relatively easy once you know where to go and what to bring along. Please keep in mind that everyone who moves to Amsterdam is required to register at the municipal database. It is highly important to register with your correct address; if you fail to register with your correct address the municipal can impose a fine.

Required Documents
Not every document is valid in the Netherlands. The municipal will only accept official documents in English, French, German and Dutch. If you don’t have documents in these languages you will need an official translation. Some documents also may require proof of authenticity. Proof of your authentication would be carried out by your home government. If this document is written in any other language then English, French, German or Dutch you must provide an official translation by an official translator. If this is the case you will have to bring the official document and the translation to the municipal office.

You will need to bring a valid identification card / passport if you are a EU or EEA citizens. If you are not from the EU or EEA you will need to bring your residence permit. Keep in mind that you will have to bring the official document and a copy of it to the municipal office. Certain documents like marriage or birth certificates have to be issued no less than 1 year before. Pay attention to these rules before going to the municipal office, otherwise you will be wasting your time.

The most commonly used registration office is the Amsterdam city hall.

Gemeentehuis Amsterdam (City Hall)
Amstel 1
1011 PN Amsterdam

The second option is the expat center for highly skilled migrants. For these highly skilled migrants the registration is arranged when collecting the initial working permit or they receive their BSN directly from the IND. When registering at the expat center extra service fees are applicable.

Expat center Amsterdam
Strawinskylaan 39
1077 Amsterdam